SAEA’s Health Emergency Leave Program (H.E.L.P.) allows SAUSD certificated personnel to request additional days of leave due to a potentially fatal medical emergency. A maximum of 180 days may be granted in a member’s lifetime; and a maximum of three requests shall be considered.
- Employee must work a minimum of 60% contract
- Employee must sign up and donate three sick days to H.E.L.P.
- Days must be deducted and verified by the SAUSD Payroll Department
- Employee must be out of a regular work for more than fifteen consecutive work days
- Employee must have used all of their accrued sick days
- Employee must have used 100 days of differential pay
- Employee must provide written diagnosis from a licensed medical doctor
- Employees with pre-existing conditions may not qualify
What Ailments Qualify For H.E.L.P.
- Life–threatening; grave potentially fatal illness
- Severe, debilitating complications resulting from surgery
- Psychiatric illness resulting in long-term hospitalization